Tonn Family Missions Trip to Africa

Tonn Family Missions Trip to Africa

Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Introducing Our Team

The date of our departure is coming quickly!  We seem to be rushing to complete all the details that need to be taken care of before we leave this Friday morning.  We are leaving sooner than the rest of our team because of the time that we will be spending in Zambia with Reaching a Generation.  Here is an introduction to the rest of our Centershot team that will be coming to join us in South Africa on August 16th.  Please pray for each team member and that we will all fit together to become one big happy family serving together to reach people for Jesus!

Jesse Armstrong

I'm from London, KY and have a wife and a three-year-old little boy. I work for the Kentucky State Police and am a Detective there. I've been in law enforcement for 10 years.
I'm excited about this trip. I have never been on a mission trip outside the US, but have always wanted to do so. I can’t believe I have the opportunity to go to South Africa.!
I am also nervous about being in the air so long since I am not a big fan of flying. Most of the planes I've been on have fairly small, though, so I hope that makes a difference. I can't wait to get the trip started and look forward to meeting everyone.

Kayla Ball

Hey! My name is Kayla Ball. I live in south Minneapolis with two roommates. I am a case manager for adults with developmental disabilities, and have been in that field for about 3 years now. I graduated with a youth development degree a handful of years ago. I love working with kids and youth so I volunteer twice a week with inner city kids in Minneapolis.
I have never been to South Africa, but have always wanted to travel there.!
I'm excited to see a different part of the world! I've done many many mission trips before, but never this far out of the country. I am pumped to meet the kids we'll be working with and experiencing the culture and lifestyle of everyone there! I'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the team and sharing the love of Christ with everyone we encounter.
The only thing I'm a little nervous about is the jet lag situation...and returning to work after we return home :)

Danielle Bergen
 
My name is Danielle Bergen and I am from small town Saskatchewan, Canada. Growing up on the prairies my dad quickly introduced me to the sports of hockey and hunting. To this day I still get very excited when I have the opportunity to do either of them. When I go hunting, my alone time with God, just chatting with Him, and playing the game of hide and seek with the animals, draws me back to the pursuit time and time again.
I have never been to South Africa before but am looking forward to the adventure and meeting and working with each and every person on the team.!
What excites me most is to have the opportunity to encourage a passion for archery and the Lord in even just one person I have the chance to meet.
But it's not everyday a down home prairie girl just takes a hop, skip, and a jump overseas so I am definitely a bit nervous just about the trip in general. Nervous, but excited to take the leap into His plans.
Looking forward to seeing you all soon. Danielle

Ryan Coffey

My name is Ryan Coffey and I live in London, Kentucky. I am married to Holly and we have two children; Ty (4 yrs old) and Campbell (2 yrs old in Sept). I currently serve as Youth Pastor at First Baptist London and Holly is an elementary school teacher. My hobbies include hunting, fishing, playing sports of all kinds, spending time with my family, and cheering on the Univ. of Kentucky Wildcats.
This will be my second trip to South Africa; I traveled with the Centershot in 2014. My experience in South Africa last year ranks as one of the most amazing and defining moments of my life. I cannot wait to go back and experience ministry, fellowship, and the beauty of God’s creation with all of you.
 
Tony Duncan
 
My name is Tony Duncan, I'm 41 years old and reside in Geneva, Florida. Geneva is 35 minutes away from Mickey Mouse. I've been married to my wife, Leslie for 15 years. We have two children; Tony III who is 10 and Emily Grace who is 7. We, as a family, enjoy the outdoors; bow hunting is our passion. Hunting and fishing is what we do. As a father it's a blessing that my children ask to go hunting and fishing with me.
!
I can't put a price on the memories that I've had with them on our hunting and fishing trips. God has truly blessed with me with two wonderful children and a Proverbs 31 wife. Leslie doesn't like it when I say this to her but it's true.
I was fortunate enough to be part of the 2014 Centershot Mission Trip. I really didn't know what to expect on the trip for the most part. One thought I did have was I thought I was going to go over to South Africa and change lives, I came back with my life changed. It's amazing how God works in our lives. I received the blessing.
God has blessed me through Centershot. The picture attached is when we where leaving Shikwaru Lodge last year. I'm on the left in the picture (Florida), John Rickenbach (Minnesota) is in the center and Kasey Hearon (Texas) is on the right. I had never meet either of the guys. Now I talk to these guys pretty much on a daily bases. Our families have met and created personal relationships. As I mentioned earlier I received the blessing.
I've also formed relationships with many others that were on the mission trip. Just to name a few Kevin Vogt (Minnesota) since 2011 the year FBC of Geneva started Centershot, Dwight Tonn from (Canada), Alex Roupe & Jorge Roupe from (Pennsylvania), Ryan Coffey from (Kentucky), and Matt Westburg (Minnesota).
I can't wait to meet the 2015 South Africa Centershot "Soul Hunters". I look forward to serving side by side with each of you. The cool thing about this mission trip is that "WE GET TO" be part of it and make Christ the target of our lives.
Best regards, Tony

Bob and Dottie Gerhart

My name is Bob Gerhart and I am a telephone and data tech
for Blackbox Network Services. I am married to a wonderful wife, Dorothy Gerhart for 31 years (you can read about her below). We have two sons and daughter in-laws and
two precious grandchildren, which you will learn about from Dottie. We live in a little town of Geigertown, PA. If you drive through it with a blink of the eyes you will miss it.

I have not been to South Africa before, but I have been to Israel, which we enjoyed so much. The country, the unknown, and the wilderness are the things most exciting to me. !
I enjoy teaching archery to the kids as well as presenting the gospel of Christ. I don't like long flights because I get bored and need leg room.
I really enjoy archery hunting. My other passion is photography from wildlife to candid shots. Beware you may end up in a picture or two.


My name is Dottie Gerhart. I am married to a multi-talented husband, Bob Gerhart. We are grandparents and empty nesters. We have two happily married sons. Anthony and Rachael recently had a baby boy, Josiah Robert, on June 5. They also have a year and a half old daughter, Leah Rose. She was born December 26, 2014. Stephen and Jenna are planning to have a family soon. I have not been to South Africa before. What excites me most about the trip is how God will use me to share Christ's love. It is hard for me to leave my 'comfort zone'. I must pray for continual wisdom and strength. I enjoy philosophical and theological discussions, Scrabble, and writing. I love the beauty of the outdoors and also enjoy the fine arts.

Felicia Jusczak

Hey guys! My name is Felicia Jusczak. I'm 19 years old and I live in Minnesota with my parents, two sisters, one brother, and my best friend.
I love being outdoors, traveling, and watching hockey and baseball. I went to South Africa last year with Centershot and loved every minute of it; I'm looking forward to seeing all of the people I met at the lodge last year again.
I am a nanny and I work at a daycare, so you can probably guess that I am most excited to work with the kids and to show them God's unconditional love. I can't wait to see and meet you all next month!!
  page4image22768 page4image22928  
Josh Kochel
 
My name is Josh Kochel and I work for a fire suppression company in Reading, PA. I have been married for 9 years to my wife Colleen and we have two daughters, Emma-Leigh (6) and Abigail (2). We live in the small town of Geigertown, about 20 minutes south of Reading. This will be my first mission trip outside of the United States, but I have attended numerous trips to ASP (Appalachia Service Project) throughout the years.
The only thing that makes me nervous about this trip is the long flight to and from South Africa. That shouldn't be too bad, with movies and getting to know each other, as much as you canonaplane.
!
As far as my hobbies - I enjoy hunting (archery mainly), disc golf and trips to the shore with my family.

Brennan and Anna McPherson

Brennan

My name is Brennan McPherson and I’m the Director of
Operations for The Salvation Poem Foundation. I am married to my best friend, Anna, and we live in Sparta, WI. My hobbies include making music (specifically with Anna) and writing fiction.
This is my first trip to South Africa, and I’m most nervous about jet lag. I’m most excited about just being able to experience a new country with my wife.
Fun fact: I’m allergic to dairy, so if I eat any cheese or drink any milk or consume anything with butter in it, I get quite sick.
Anna

My name is Anna McPherson and I am married to my best friend Brennan McPherson. We live
in Sparta, Wisconsin and have two sweet kitties. Both Brennan and I work in Sparta. I’m the receptionist and social media coordinator at the guitar shop here. On my free time my main hobby is singing/making music. Brennan and I are just finishing up a music project that will be used to raise money for missions. We are excited to share it!
I have never been to South Africa before but I’m pretty pumped about the trip. I look forward to meeting new people, understanding their culture, and sharing in God’s grace together. The main thing I’m nervous about for this trip is jet leg. I’m hoping it won’t affect me too much. This will only be my second time out of the country! I look forward to experiencing what God has in store for this trip with my husband and all of you!
page5image23032 page5image23192
John Rickenbach

My name is John Rickenbach; I am the President of Centershot Ministries. Along with wife Kristi, my 16 year-old daughter Jasz, and my 11 year-old daughter Justice Faith we want to welcome you to this Kingdom building adventure in Africa.
My three adult children; daughter Jade (23) and husband Tommosha, daughter Jersi (22 - expecting our first grandchild) and husband Joshua and our son Gage Jonathon (20) are holding down the fort at home while we are gone. We also have 3 dogs and a cat and live in the Minneapolis MN. area.
!
Kristi and I celebrated our 25 wedding anniversary last year on a mountain in Africa at the lodge you will grow to love. This will be our 4th trip to Africa but our daughters first. I am excited to watch how God changes each of you while you serve the children of Africa. No matter how many times I go back the Father tweaks me in His way. The only issue I have about being on such a trip is leaving my family at home, as we are very close.
Friends be open to the Holy Spirit and be prepared for an adventure of a lifetime!
Can you imagine what we can accomplish together for God's Kingdom if we don't care who gets the credit!!
See you!!
John, Kristi, Jasz and Justice Faith –

The Tonn Family

Dwight

Hi, my name is Dwight Tonn and I am 47 years old. I am from Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada where I have worked as an Advanced Care Paramedic for 23 years. I have been married to my wife, Crystelle for 19 years and look forward to many more years together! We have two daughters, Jaelyn who turns 16 on our flight to Africa, and Terrace who is 14 years old.
Last year I had the opportunity to be a part of the first Centershot missions team to South Africa. That was the first time I had ever travelled overseas, but it was my second short term missions trip. It was an incredible experience to work together with a team of people from all across North America, including Canada, eh! I now have so many good friends from that team! During our time at the schools it was amazing to see the openness of the kids to the gospel message and excitement for archery. It was awesome being able to teach and pray with the kids! I love the way archery makes the children so excited to be with us and can bridge the gap!
Last time I was nervous about leaving my family behind, but now that they are all coming I'm nervous about that. I'm anxious for them to experience all that I did last year and hope they are as impacted as I was by all the opportunities. It excites me to be able to spend time together as a whole family serving in this way.
A little know fact about me is years ago while in Bible College I had the privilege of playing in the Canadian College Athletic Association National Championship Basketball Game. We lost 68-64. It still hurts!

Crystelle
page7image16392 page7image16552
Hi, my name is Crystelle Tonn and I am from Regina, SK. If you have read Dwight’s bio you
already know that we have been married for 19 years and have two daughters. I was a stay at home mom until five years ago when I accepted the part time position of children’s program coordinator at our church. This means that if it has anything to do with kids at the church I probably have my hands or at least my fingers in it. I love my job with the kids and I am always excited to see kids growing in their love for Jesus.
When Dwight returned from South Africa last fall his excitement over what God was doing there was contagious. I caught the vision and am now excited to see how God can use our whole family and the gifts he has given us for his glory. I am most nervous about whether or not I will physically be able to keep up the pace each day.
Something most people don’t know about me is that I once held my instructors certificate in trampoline. Please don’t ask me to demonstrate any big moves though, I am no longer gifted in that area!

Jaelyn

My name is Jaelyn Tonn. I live in Regina, Saskatchewan with my parents, Dwight and Crystelle and my sister Terrace. I am heading into the eleventh grade at Regina Christian School. I fill my time with church activities, homework and sports (basketball, volleyball, badminton, and soccer).
My family has chosen to spend a few days in Zambia prior to our time in South Africa. Our flight leaves on August 7th and lands on the 8th (my 16th birthday). Because of the 8 hour time difference my 16th birthday will be only 16 hours!
This will be my first trip to South Africa! I'm so excited to see a giraffe and to walk with lions! I'm a little nervous about the 16 hour flight.
One little known fact about myself is that I am named after Jalen Rose, a retired starter from the NBA.

Terrace

My name is Terrace Tonn and I live in Regina, Saskatchewan with my family Dwight, Crystelle, and my sister Jaelyn. I will be heading into ninth grade days after we get back from SA. When I’m not in a classroom at school you can find me on the archery range, with kids, doing homework, in the church or my favorite, sleeping!
Although I really wanted to go along on the previous trip to Africa I couldn’t, so this will be my first time on the trip. I am so excited to hang out with all the children and hunt in Africa, as well as I am very excited for the flights (weird, right?). I am also excited to go early with my family to explore other missions in Zambia that we could later get involved in. One of my concerns about the trip is the food we will be eating in Zambia and South Africa.
Although there are many fun facts about me you will soon hear about, one is that Africa will be the first time I have ever bow hunted!
page8image26184 page8image26344
Anne Vogt

My name is Anne Vogt.
Kevin and I have been married for 24 years. We have 5 children (Sam - 23, Lexi - 21, Logan -17, Adam -14, and Grace - 9). I am blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom and I have home schooled our children for the past 14 years. I also do daycare part-time; currently I care for a 5 year old and a 2 year old.
!
This will be my fourth trip to South Africa. I am so excited to be able to share this trip with our oldest and youngest daughters, Sam and Grace. South Africa has gotten into my blood :) I cannot wait to return! The people, the peace, and the ministry will bless you in ways you cannot imagine.

Grace Vogt

Hi my name is Grace Vogt, I am 9 years old, and I will be going into 5th grade this year. I am SO excited to be going to South Africa! Even though I have never been there my mom and Dad tell me it’s a lot of fun. I am looking forward to meeting new people especially kids my age and sharing Jesus with them. When I am at home I enjoy gymnastics, swimming, and playing outside. I know 16 hours in a plane to Johannesburg is a long time, but I'm excited about all the movies I get to watch.
   
See you there!

Kevin Vogt

My name is Kevin Vogt and I am the vice president of Centershot Ministries. I am married to Anne (you read about her above) and we have five wonderful children (3 girls and 2 boys) ranging in age from 23 to 9 who all live in the Minneapolis/St Paul, MN metro area. I currently have two main hobbies, which are bow hunting (surprise) and biking.
!
This will be my 4th trip to SA with Centershot - the first one in 2012, again in 2013 and 2014. The places we will see and the people we will meet make for a life-time of amazing memories and one of the thing that excites me about this trip is that you get to experience that too! The people are kind and generous, the landscape is incredible and the food is delicious. I can't wait!
The one concern I have is sitting still on the 16-hour flight from Atlanta to Jo'berg. Actually it goes a lot quicker than you might think . . . a couple of movies, a couple of naps, a couple of meals, and presto you are there.

Sam Vogt

A little bit about me: I am 23 years old and was homeschooled from 3rd grade till I graduated high school in 2010. I attended an intense discipleship program in Chicago, called Chicago Masters Commission, for two years after graduation. Following that, I headed out for a three-month internship in Camden, New Jersey. I spent that time working with inner city kids. The crime and violence rate there is one of the highest in the country so my primary goal there was to simply love on the kids in the way Jesus would. After that experience I really felt it heavy on my heart that kids were my passion and I want to be able to show kids that they too have a calling in life and that they can make a difference, despite the circumstances they may be in. I am currently in school for a bachelor’s degree in general ministries, with an emphasis on children's ministry.!
This trip will be the second time I will have gone to South Africa and I am so excited to see what God has in store this year. I currently work for Razor Capital as an operations administrator. I am a huge MN Wild Hockey fan, love being outdoors and country music, hanging out with kids, but most importantly, serving the Lord in whatever capacity He asks of me. :)
  
John Wheeler

My name is John Wheeler.
I am the Minister to Students and Education at First Baptist Church in Waycross, GA where I have served for 17 years. I also function as a Volunteer Captain with Ware County Fire Rescue where I've served for 15 years. My wife's name is Lesley and we have two beautiful daughters; Emma 15, and Sara 13. Our only real claim to fame in Waycross is that we live at the north entrance to the Okefenokee Swamp. (It's not much but you take what you can get...)
!
I have two main hobbies, which include hunting/fishing, and bicycling. This will be my first trip to South Africa and I am really excited to see what God has in store. I know it's going to be incredible!!
Take care and blessings, John

Peyton Winkler

I'm Peyton Winkler, I'm going into fifth grade and I'm ten years old. I have a mom and a dad and a brother and a sister. My brother is 12 and my sister is 8. I also have a puppy named Willy. He is 6 months old. I live in Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota. I've never been to South Africa before. I'm going with my mom. Kevin is my uncle so that's how we decided to go. I'm super excited to go because my cousins are going and Grace is going with this time and she is about my age. I'm also excited to go because I love helping people and I help lots of people at school and around my neighborhood and in different places. I think I'll miss my family and especially my dog Willy. I really love dance and I do dance a lot during my free time.

Sara Winkler

My name is Sara Winkler. I have been married to Chris for 16 years. We have 3 children- Brockton, 12, Peyton 10 and Kendall 8. I stay home with my kids. I decided to stay home when Peyton was born. Prior to that I was a mental health counselor. I worked mostly with people with Schizophrenia. Peyton and I will be traveling to Africa. We are very excited. Kevin Vogt is my brother-in-law and we are very excited to be traveling with family! I am most excited to see a new part of the world and experience a new culture. Peyton and I are especially interested in working with and playing with the children. The thing that I am most worried about is missing my husband and other kiddos!

No comments:

Post a Comment