Tonn Family Missions Trip to Africa

Tonn Family Missions Trip to Africa

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Family Hunting Memories


Warning: This blog entry has details of a big game hunt.

As promised here is a more detailed account of our family hunt after our school ministry time. I will mention for those who maybe don't know that RAG's major source of income for the mission does come from the profits of Shikwaru's big game hunts. So for someone like me who wants to experience hunting in Africa it is a great way of doing it and still having it benefit the children's ministry here.  As the back of our mission's team t-shirts say, 'It's all about the children!'


So after we were all settled into the blind and Kevin had all the camera gear set up we sat and waited giggling at the occasional noises that we would make that seem so loud when you are all trying to sit quietly. 

The first animals to come by were a group of Kudu cows. They have such huge ears they are difficult to trick. These ones looked like they wanted to come closer in but then seemed to notice some thing wasn't right. I think there was about five of them that passed by.  They are so majestic the way they walk!  

Terrace had been so tired from all the busy days she actually missed out on the Kudu cows and the Impala that were the next species we saw.  It was funny to listen to her heavy breathing as she was stretched out on the bench at the back of the blind for her nap. 

The excitement was building as we watched a few Impala that were a long ways off.  We couldn't see one that looked big enough to shoot but suddenly they were coming closer and we seemed to have more and more appearing just beyond where we really wanted them to come to. But still no 'shooter', just one that was about two years old and ewes. They also seemed to know something was wrong at the blind. Very few of the 14 that were close by would come in. It is amazing how long they will stand and just stare right at you without moving at all. They are a very nervous animal, like most here in Africa.  Terrace was still laying unconscious with her heavy breathing!  Maybe that was why they wouldn't come it. 

Finally Terrace woke up and was a little more alert. Having your whole family with you hunting is quite amazing and enjoyable but can be a challenge to keep them interested during the long waits.  Cell phone games, colouring, crafts, giggling over silly stuff and naps are all the norm.  

Things were slow for quite awhile. Nothing other than the approximately 30 Guinea Fowl. It was starting to seem as though nothing more was going to happen for the evening. Then Kevin said, "Zebra coming in!"  You could see about four zebra including a young one.  They all passed by and looked like they were leaving but then a little later they started coming back again. They also seemed to know something was wrong at the blind. But they were also a little more determined to get to the water hole on the other side of our blind.  Kevin figured they would try to circle around and come to the water. 

Now you have to understand that these blinds can be difficult for everyone to see out of at the same time. There are various windows around the blind to look out from, plus a couple spots that you can shoot from. So not everyone can always see the animals that are around, plus moving around in the blind to see out windows always has the risk of spooking the animal when they see the movement. The reason I tell you all this is because as the Zebra were circling us to go to the watering hole Terrace had been in a spot where she didn't get a really good look at them. Now they were circling us on the side where she could easily peek out her window and have a great view of them all. This window was covered with a dark curtain, so she peeked her head behind it and was looking out and then whispered, "Wow, that's a big Kudu!"  Not even for one second did I believe her!  We had just watched the Zebra all walk that way and now Terrace is trying one of her little gags on us. Kevin asked me what she had said and I told him. Then she said it again!  I still didn't even lean over to look out the window.  Kevin asked Crystelle if she was serious. Crystelle replied back with something like, "Who knows, you can never tell." There had been a big Kudu bull seen at this stand a couple evenings ago and Kevin was hoping he would come back.  When Terrace said it again I replied, "Well, your going to force me to look so I will know if your joking or not."  I leaned over a lifted the curtain and said, "Wow, that's a big Kudu...she is totally serious!"  All I could see was the biggest Kudu I have ever seen while hunting the little I have in Africa.  I guess I really need to take Terrace more seriously next time. That is two hunts where she has told us she sees something and I have doubted her because she is such a joker like her dad. I guess that will teach me!  

So now we had just enough time for Kevin to get the video rolling and then the massive bodied Kudu was walking right in front of the blind. Kudu and Impala have always been my two favorite African animals. So now here I was with a huge one in front of me with my whole family along for the experience, plus Kevin with us to film the whole thing.  This was a situation we had discussed but had never really come to a final decision on.  Now here we were with my bow sitting in the far corner of the blind and my arrows also behind Crystelle.  We were not ready for this at all!  It was supposed to be Jaelyn's turn to hunt!  While the Kudu stood their Crystelle and I exchanged a few looks and I asked whether I should try to do this. It was going to be difficult to even get the bow in my hand and an arrow nocked with the bull standing only 16 yards away.  My answer came as Crystelle reached for my arrows and handed them to me and said, "He is big!"  Next she slowly passed the bow to me. Twice the bull let out a warning bark and we had to freeze to let him settle down. We thought we were busted because of some of the noise we made. If it wasn't for the Zebras drinking at the watering hole I think he would have been long gone.  

My heart was really starting to pound with excitement now.  It was amazing he stood there through all the shenanigans and I was able to get to full draw.  As the sun had just set it was difficult to see my sight pins for aiming.  I did my best to make out the one I needed and aimed low and on his front leg at the the proper spot  for African game and before the girls expected it the arrow flew. I knew I hit him hard but was still stressed a little as he ran away.  I saw the arrow flip forward as he bolted but it was really hard to tell exactly where I hit him.  Terrace was quick to congratulate me but I said I didn't want to get too excited until we could tell more about the shot.  After her experience I really wanted to see how much blood there was before I would feel more confident it was a good shot. You always start to question things when it happens so fast and it was getting more difficult to see because of fading daylight.  We paused as a family with Kevin to pray that my shot was a good one and that we would be able to easily find the Kudu.

We had planned to wait half an hour before checking for blood and following the trail but the truck with other hunters had already arrived after 15 minutes.  Jacques wanted to get on the trail right away due to darkness coming. It didn't take long to see a good amount of blood and shortly after we found my arrow.  It had not passed through but their was really good blood on it and it had penetrated about half the length of the arrow.  It didn't take long to find more blood and Jacques, Eugene and Jabulani were off heading down the trail to find it.  Kevin and I were trying to get the camera gear together to follow along and had problems with the microphone that delayed us a few minutes.  We followed along part way and then we heard the words every hunter want to hear when others are helping to track their animal..."We got him here!"  Ahh, what a feeling of relief.  Once we got everything with the camera working we continued down the blood trail while filming me first walking up to my kudu.  It was so exciting to have so many people with me that are good friends.  It was 'especially special' to have Crystelle and the girls with me!  


We had a blast enjoying the moment.  It was fun to get a bunch of pictures and have other friends also snapping pictures with their cameras.  Then because of the possibility that this hunt may be used on a  show we made sure that we did some more video shots as well as retelling some of the story for the camera.  It was all a new experience and made the whole hunt a most memorable one for our whole family.  

I need to thank all the staff and guides as Shikwaru Lodge.  It is awesome to hunt here knowing that it is "hunting with a purpose".  They do a wonderful job of setting you up in good blinds on a property with good opportunities.  Eugene is always ready to answer questions and willing to serve you the best way he nows how.  Jacques has quality staff for all of the hunting operation from trackers to PH's to skinners.  They do their best to provide you with a great outdoors experience!

We still hope that Jaelyn will get her chance at an Impala.  We have a few opportunities to get out yet and hope that it will all come together to create another amazing family memory together.  


2 comments:

  1. Congratulations! What a way to come to the completion of your trip. Hope that Jaeyln get a crack at it too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that is one huge animal!! Chrissy says she wants it stuffed for her room....Just kidding! Sounds like your time as a family was as memorable as hitting the Kudu, I'm glad you got to do it all together. Praying that Jaelyn gets her Impala too! Trusting that Terrace and Crystelle are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete